Shakespeare's Legacy at The Globe

September 23, 2011

Today we went to see Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing at The Globe Theatre in Southwark. Last night, CAPA had a lecture with the professor who teaches the Shakespeare class. He gave us information about Shakespeare, The Globe and the play itself. We also saw a clip of a film version of the play. I was pleasantly surprised to see the same actor who played Hamlet in one film version, Wilson from House and Jeffrey from The Fresh Prince of Belair (which I should mention airs here on TV multiple times daily). There was also mention of the similarities between the play and other pieces of great literature like Pride And Prejudice [:)]. I did indeed fondly see the similarities.


I've read plenty of Shakespeare in school. However, I seemed to have forgotten that The Globe is an open-air theatre. It is essentially a semicircle with covered seating around the perimeter and a large area for people with "Standing Tickets" to stand and watch in the middle. Those who stand are literally at the mercy of the elements. In fact, you are not allowed to bring umbrellas and use them in the theatre. I had the great fortune of having a standing ticket, so I got to watch the 3+ hour play while standing. I was really tired afterwards, but I suppose I got to experience Shakespeare as the common folk no-doubtedly did back in the day.

The play itself was very impressive and witty. I love wit! The characters were believable and genuine. The clothing divine and the scenery so very natural. I do believe the actors did not use mics, but rather had to project their voices for the entire theatre to hear for minutes on end. It was my good fortune that they were performing Much Ado About Nothing as I love witty romantic comedies. The similarities to Pride and Prejudice added greatly to my enjoyment. It was also nice to know that I have retained much of my knowledge about Shakespeare and how to interpret his artistry. I got the jokes unlike some of my companions, so I could enjoy it more.

Now I am completely exhausted and am looking forward to chilling tonight in recuperation.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram