Makeshift Beans

October 08, 2011

Most of you are probably familiar with my mom's own Mexican bean recipe (I've made it at school quite a few times.) The beans are similar to refried beans, but completely healthy (not fried, but steamed) with vegetables and literally no added fat. Did you know kidney beans are an EXCELLENT source of protein?


The first time I made beans at school [sophomore year]

Anyway, I love Mexican food but it seems like the craze is American. So today I attempted to make the beans with canned kidney beans since I didn't bring my wonderful pressure cooker across the pond.

Mushing them was difficult and the beans turned out quite dry. However, I found some excellent Mexican cheese at Sainsbury's and REAL salsa as well.

The point of this blog entry is that I have new found appreciation for the difference between "from scratch" and "not from scratch." Can't wait to make more beans when I return to school. :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Instagram