Satsriakal Southall

October 07, 2011

Today Kamna and I went to Southall. Kamna and I met by chance on a CAPA-led walking tour and are now sharing in our brown-ness!

The train out west of Central London was an easy ride and we got there in less than 20 minutes. Once there, we visited the largest Gurdwara outside of India. It was very large and beautiful. There was a wedding going on, so we couldn't stay long. However, we did not leave without taking prasad, which was absolutely delicious. Mom says there is nothing like Gurdwara prasad, and I would have to agree. Afterwards, we walked along the main street which was lined with all Indian stores. The street looked just like some of the streets in India. I had really wanted mendhi and to my luck, it was Karva Chauth so lots of vendors were doing it. Kamna and I got it done and we kept walking. People were looking at our hands, and I wonder if they thought we were married since it was Karva Chauth.

We wanted to hit up the pub "Glassy Junction" and the "Himalaya Cinema," but Glassy was closed for renovation and the cinema as well. Just a tidbit, Glassy Junction apparently accepts rupees as payment!

We passed a mandhir and went in for darshan, which always leaves me with a good feeling. We also stopped at an enormous Indian grocery store where I finally found my Khatta Meetha. I also got some Frooti juice boxes. On the way out, it just so happened that they were giving out free 1 kg samples of basmati rice! (It was a good thing I didn't buy any.) As we continued to walk along, we passed legit bazaars. One was Palika Bazaar where Kamna found a nice sweater and I was able to get my eyebrows done. The area was amazingly Indian. With a variety of stalls selling things from CDs and DVDs to formal jewelry to churiyan. Pictures taken there could easily be mistaken for India.

From there, we got suggestions for places to eat and headed to "Chandni Chowk." Both of us were feeling like having Chaat. I got Bhel Puri, Aloo Tikki with Chana and Mango Lassi, and Kamna got Bhel Puri, Gol Gappa and Masala Chai. The Bhel had potato and chana which I'm not used to, but I liked the additions. I couldn't eat it all, so I ate the rest of the Aloo Tikki for dinner.

I managed to keep my mendhi drying until around 5 pm and then put balm on my hand. It came out quite dark and hopefully will be even more so tomorrow morning. The trip was great because it allowed me to be culturally engaged for the first time in a while. It felt great to be around so much culture and the people there were very connected and nice, unlike the notions I get in Central London. We hope to come back again :).

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram